Essex’s two fire departments saw an eventful start to the New Year last week after responding just after midnight to a fully involved structure fire on Woods Ends Drive.

The town and village departments arrived to find the homeowner still inside the residence attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, Essex Jct. Fire said in a news release.

The fire became so hot at one point that it knocked out windows of the residence, the department said, but the homeowner’s efforts to control the blaze succeeded in extinguishing the bulk of the fire with only some hot spots remaining by the time firefighters arrived.

The department said the burned area included some of the home’s porch and a large area of siding stretching up to the second floor. Fire crews worked on scene for about two hours to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.

Richard Smith, EJFD’s public information officer, said the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

“We are very thankful that no one was injured,” the department said in a news release.