The Essex Reporter accepts submissions for letters to the editor, calendar listings, news tips, classifieds ads and engagement and wedding announcements. Please use the links below.
Letter to the editor
All letters submitted will be sent to Courtney A. Lamdin, executive editor, of The Essex Reporter and will be published at the editor’s discretion.
- Letters must be 450 words or less.
- Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org the Friday before publication at 5 p.m. Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification. No anonymous letters will be printed. You must call to confirm your letter so we can ensure you were indeed the sender.
- Letters should respond to content in the Reporter and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Essex.
- The Reporter will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@essexreporter).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- If it is a candidate support letter and comes in the week before an election. We do not print political letters the week prior to elections in order to give opponents time to respond.
- The Reporter encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens. If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
The Reporter welcomes listings of local events in our community calendar from people throughout the area. We give preference to free, local events. Email email@example.com.
Engagement and wedding announcements
Submit engagement information, including a photo, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Achievements and birth announcements
Got a new addition to your family? A promotion? Other accolades? Submit them here, along with a photo: email@example.com.
Heard something about town? Tell us about it: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To place your ad, please email Gail Wells at email@example.com, or call her at 524-9771 Ext. 117 to arrange pre-payment. Deadline: Fridays by 4 p.m. for the following week’s publication. The Sun posts classified ads, 25 words or less, for lost and found items for no charge.
Submit obituaries, along with a photo, for your loved ones to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other inquiries, please contact our office at 878-5282.