A&E News

Polanshek of the Hills funded to publish ‘The Quilted Forest’

Jess Polanshek

Jess Polanshek

On Sept. 10, Jess Polanshek launched a Kickstarter campaign to assist in publishing and printing her first art book. Polanshek’s 135 supporters surpassed her goal of raising $5,000 and funded $7,214 to the project.

“The Quilted Forest is a book of hand-drawn illustrations with a woodland theme, woven together with patterns,” explained Cambridge resident who began her art business Polanshek of the Hills in January 2013.

“I began the series of drawings/paintings in late December of 2013. It grew and grew until I had dozens of drawings and I felt as though a book would be a grand way to present them in one tidy collection,” she continued. “I love books and it seemed a natural direction.”

Kickstarter is a crowd-funded platform, where people all over the world can pledge towards a certain goal in exchange for rewards that pertain to the project. Polanshek decided to use this platform because she needed help funding the costs of printing a book locally

The Quilted Forest is a book of hand-drawn illustrations with a woodland theme, woven together with patterns.

The Quilted Forest is a book of hand-drawn illustrations with a woodland theme, woven together with patterns.

“I wanted the quality to be very high and to keep as much business as I could in Vermont, which correlates into very high minimums. By using Kickstarter as a way of pre-selling books and artwork, I was able to ‘kickstart’ the life of the book”

With her goal well attained, Polanshek plans to use the majority of the funds to actually print the books. The remainder will be used to fulfill the rewards that backers pledged for and to ship them all across the world. Kickstarter also retains about 10 percent of the funds raised for credit card processing fees, etc.

“This project was created on a very tight budget,” Polanshek said, “so it’s likely every penny (if not more) will be spent fulfilling its promises.”

Polanshek’s currently goal is to have The Quilted Forest available for the public on Nov. 1. Books will be sold on her Etsy store, at a few local galleries and stores and at holiday art shows she participates in. For more information visit www.polanshek.com.

— Elsie Lynn